Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup
Another year has rolled around and winter is here again. My favourite entree from Asian restaurants, a really good chicken and sweetcorn soup with egg drop can make a meal.
Although it doesn't look fantastic, it tastes delicious. Another great recipe making use of that leftover chicken from the roast the night before. And only takes 20 minutes to make, for a quick family meal the next day.
500g cooked shredded chicken
4 corn cobs
4 spring onions
2 garlic cloves
1 cm cube ginger, finely grated
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp vinegar
1L chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp cornflour
Water to make a paste
- Finely slice spring onions, keep some of the green end for garnish
- Heat some oil in a large sauce and saute spring onion, garlic and ginger.
- Slice corn off the cob and add to the pan and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, chicken stock, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar. Depending on the sweetness of your corn you can add 1 tsp of sugar as well if need be. Adjust the vinegar, sugar levels to your personal taste.
- Bring to the boil
- Once boiling, add the whisked egg and stir vigorously to create egg ribbons throughout the soup.
- Create a past with the water and cornflour if you want a thicker soup.
- Simmer for another five minutes unless soup has thickened then serve.