Cous Cous with Seared Beef, Feta and Orange Salad
I've said it before but creativity rules in the kitchen. Often telling the BF to make a salad "with anything you can find" from the fridge and garden, couscous is a food that has turned many a meal from ordinary to extraordinary if you use a bit of imagination.
Couscous; the food so nice you say it twice, is a pasta of North African origin and is a finely ground semolina. A must-have for busy people as it takes minutes to cook by steaming in boiled water before its ready to serve. In the winter its the perfect accompaniment to curries and pasta, and is great for warm and cold salads. Its an all-rounder that if you haven't cooked before you should try.
This is a throw together meal with only Beef to work with initially. It came up trumps and the man-o-house thinks its one of the best meals I've made so far. Like everything, you can make changes to suit your needs and that's the beauty of cooking. Enjoy this light summery dish!
Ingredients (serves two)
1 cup uncooked Couscous
1 spring onion
Juice of 1 lemons
1/2 cup of chopped herbs (either basil, parsley or chives)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups Rocket
1 fillet of meat (can use chicken or fish)
1 juicy orange segmented
1/4 block of feta crumbled
1/2 cup natural yoghurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 clove garlic crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbspns of olive oil
- Fill jug and boil. Pour Couscous into a flat glass dish and pour over boiling water until the couscous is only just covered. Cover with glad wrap to trap in the steam. In 3 minutes fluff with a fork and re-cover. Your couscous is now cooked and ready! So easy...
- Prepare your orange by carefully cutting away the skin and cutting out the segments as best possible. Last time I made this I had a chef over, he put my previous efforts to shame, so do the best you can! Practice makes perfect. Once cut put back into the fridge to keep cold
- Combine all dressing ingredients, shake well and leave out
- Season your couscous with thinly sliced spring onion, lemon juice, olive oil, herbs, rocket salt and pepper and leave out
- Season and cook meat. If using beef med rare to rare is best. Alternatively fish is great as with chicken. Once cooked thinly slice and set aside to rest for 5 minutes
- Assemble by piling couscous salad, beef slices, then orange segments and feta and pour the dressing being careful not to use too much as the orange and feta will give mini flavour bombs