Cook Meter: Amateur
Cost Meter: $
It's funny that sometimes when you go travelling and try many beautiful even michelin star meals it's the simple ones that stick most in your mind. Our recent trip to Melbourne was one of these and out of all the delightful food that we ate, it was Amelia's lemon and yoghurt cake that was my favourite.
So our first reader's recipe on Bread and Sniff It is from a good friend Amelia. I changed the recipe slightly (Sorry Meals!) as we had some defrosted raspberries in the fridge that I needed to get rid of. And then because I couldn't help myself, I topped it off with a cream cheese icing.
Introducing Amelia's Lemon Yoghurt Cake (with Mel's sneaky raspberries)
1 cup castor sugar
2 eggs- lightly beaten
1 cup thick plain yoghurt (greek yoghurt is good)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon rind
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
100 grams of raspberries
1. Make 1/2 cup of sugar syrup and add lemon juice and rind of 1 lemon cut into thin strips
1. Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Add eggs and beat well
2. Stir yoghurt, lemon juice, rind, flour, and baking soda into egg and butter mix and combine
3. Spoon into a greased 23cm tin. bake for approx 45mins at 180 C
4. Pour hot sugar syrup immediately over cake as cake comes out of the oven so it soaks in.