Cook Meter: Amateur
Cost Meter: $
Tonight I pulled my dinner out of the freezer and chucked it in the microwave. No, it was not a lean cuisine or anything of the microwave dinner variety. But it did leave me with the feeling that I am looking after myself.
Chilli Pumpkin Soup, not the same as your usual soup as it uses lots of chilli, and coconut milk. But its a fantastic winter warmer and every better when you have some pre-made in your freezer and you just cannot stomach another take-away meal.
1 whole butternut pumpkin
2 brown onions
4 cloves of garlic
4 large red chillies
1 bunch of coriander
2L of Vegetable stock
1 can of coconut milk
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius and roast the pumpkin and onion, it will give the vegetables a beautiful flavour.
2. Finely dice the chilli, garlic and coriander and fry in a large pot until soft
3. Scoop the pumpkin out of the skin and place in the pot with the onions and stock. Then fill the pot with water until all of the vegetables are covered.
4. Simmer for another 15 minutes.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Using a stick blender, blend the entire soup together and serve.
Note: I freeze the soup in containers, or in freezer bags in portions of two. Which give me a great quick meal alternative instead of rushing off to Maccas.