Last week, the day before shopping day, Leo and I were starving but we had made our way through all the snack foods in the house. I needed to whip something up quickly when I remembered that we had cream in the fridge.
Pikelets, jam and cream are something you can prepare in less than ten minutes. It's great if you are about to rush out and need to bring a plate, or you have a hankering for something sweet. And a great activity that you can do with your kids.
This recipe is from the Edmonds cookbook, where all the great classic recipes come from.
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
Jam and cream for topping
- Sift dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk together milk and egg.
- Pour into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a fry pan to a medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon portions on mixture to the pan.
- Let the mixture bubble and when the bubbles start to pop, flip over and cook for a further 1 min.
- Once cooked, coat with your favourite jam and whipped cream.